Monday, February 5, 2007

Internet Technologies and Me

This post is about my experience with VoIP. I haven't used Skype but have used both Teamspeak and Vent. Connecting is very simple as all I have to know is the server address for the TS or Vent server and any passwords necessary for the server and/or certain private channels that I wish to enter. Vent also requires that I know the specific port. Having a TS or vent server does require a monthly fee to rent, though if you look around you can find some pretty good deals, and if you have an actual server yourself it's even cheaper.

At first my use of TS and Vent was directly related to online gaming and verbal coordination between team members so we didn't have to type or wait for slow typers to respond to questions. Later, I began to use it more frequently as it was an easy way to keep in touch and talk to people that I was no longer living with in the dorm, with people who had moved away, or with long distance friends. Instead of making specific phone calls to people and using up minutes, TS/Vent allows us to just lurk around and chat if/when something comes up when we're at home.

I'm not sure why, but some people definitely seem to sound different depending on if they are on TS or vent. I know one guy who sounds fairly "normal" on TS, but totally goes Ray Romano on vent. Another friend sounds completely different on TS, seemingly like he's just starting to go through puberty, while sounding normal on vent and on the phone.

TS Screenshot:





Vent Screenshot:

3 comments:

Jamo said...

I've also used both TS and Vent, specifically in the context of World of Warcraft. The original raiding guild I was a part of used TS, but my current guild uses Vent. I'm more partial to Vent, personally, mainly because Vent does have a Mac beta version that seems to work just fine. Someone did hack up a TS client (TeamSpeex or soemthing like that) for the Mac folks out there, but it just never worked as well as Vent for me. Given that I play WoW on a Mac, naturally I'd prefer to run my voice program over a Mac too. (For a long time, I had to 2-box between my Mac running WoW and my PC laptop running Windows.)

I did also notice that the same people sound different even using Vent, but connecting to two different Vent servers.

Winnie said...

I've never used teamspeak, but I've seen my brother use it in his room before while he was playing games. Before I found out about TS, I just used to think he was yelling and getting excited by himself hahaha. TS seems very interest though.

hanesate said...

The OP is so retarded :-D