Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Update - Week of 03/25/2007 - 03/31/2007

I was thinking about food while I was pondering what to blog about and noticed When the Sous-Chef Is an Inkjet by David Bernstein in The Best of Technology Writing. As I began to read the article, I first throught it was a joke...having images of food with organic ink on top of soy and seaweed. Then the author mentions that Cantu makes entire dinner courses this way, using inkjet printers, liquid nitrogen, helium, superconductors, lasers, 3-d printers, and ion particle guns. To say I was torn between thinking the whole idea was beyond stupid and creatively futuristic would be an understatement. I saw that Cantu charges $240 for a 20 course tasting menu, which then brought up thoughts of which bored rich people in Chicago actually go to his restaurant, and that for $240 I would want something more filling than some paper with seaweed.

Cantu's concept of futuristic cooking is certainly interesting, but I think the two comparisons in the article describe it best. The author describes Cantu as Willy Wonka or Salvador Dali, and from a mainstream reality standpoint, I think that description fits Cantu and his style of cooking. The other comparison was looking at the 20 course tasting menu for $240 with an order of steak and eggs. I may be boring and too "in the box" in this respect, but give me a good plate of steak and eggs for a few dollars for a bunch of soy pasted paper that came out of an inkjet any day.

No comments: